Wednesday, December 4, 2013

5 things I learnt this semester

I was truly blessed this semester, I had amazing professors, became rather close with some fellow classmates, and I grew a lot. I won't lie and say it was all fun, there were classes I struggled in, I was filled with a crazy amount of anxiety, my somewhat A-type personality pushed my further than I could handle at some points, but, thanks to the grace of God, I made it through! I learnt a lot about myself and about the subject material I care most about. I decided it might be fun to share the top 5 things I learnt this semester. Enjoy!



1. It's okay to slow down / I tend to rush, I like to get things done quickly and efficiently. I plan a lot to the point that I forget to enjoy the now, the moment i'm in.  This causes anxiety and sometimes shoddy work, that's why it's okay to slow down, savor the moment, feel the echoing vibrations of now within your soul. It's okay, close your eyes, breathe, slow down, think (or don't), and take your time. Time is precious, everybody knows that, but savor every second rather than running towards some invisible finish line.

2. Make sure to stay consistent / Nothing looks worse than being an amazing student at the start of the semester and then slowly fizzling out towards the end, yes, there's an end of the semester slump but that doesn't mean you (meaning I) should become this foggy minded sheeple towards the end. Keep your work strong, keep that smile flashing, put some makeup on those bags under your eyes, and keep the momentum going (and if need be, take a break, breaks are good).

3. Get out of your comfort zone / I'm starting to think that i'll be forced out of comfort zone for the rest of my life. This semester I was asked to attend an athletic leadership conference (I play tennis at my uni). I said okay, because it's always good to say okay to new opportunities but,  as some of you may have noticed from some of my past blogposts,  being around new people freaks me out. I'm really friendly, and i'm not really shy, it's just that going to a place with people I don't know really freaks me out. However, i'm so glad I got out of my comfort zone, I met amazing people and learnt a lot about myself as a student-athlete. I would have never gotten that chance if I hadn't chosen to get out of my comfort zone. The cool thing about college is that there are always new opportunists popping up all over the place, get out of your comfort zone, try something new, and you (may) never look back!

4. You want it? Fight for it! / No, please don't go out onto the streets looking for a fight. Don't bully your way to what you need. Sometimes in college you need to fight, ask, or even constantly pester people if you need something done; this applies to group projects, getting extra help in a class, getting your college.uni  office to finish filing paperwork and whatnot. This applies to all areas of life, sometimes if you need something done, need help, or need advice, you need to get up and find somebody who can help you. Nobody will spoon-feed you what you need, nobody will lay out a plan for you, however, you can find people who can help you, you can find the resources you need if you get up and fight (or ask) for it (as politely a possible).


5.  You can slack or you can try / When you're good you're good. If you can do an assignment without trying then good for you, you'll get A's, but will you learn? That's something I tried to work on a lot this semester. Over the past few years of my education, I've come to realize that I don't need to try very hard to do well. I can cruise through life sitting on my butt, but what would I gain out of that? I've decided to push myself and to work myself a bit harder (sometimes with negative results, but i'm working on pushing myself towards positive results). You can cruise through life, or you can attempt to climb a mountain, it's your choice as to how much you learn and gain from your college education.


For those of you who have who have been or are in college, what have you learnt? 

8 comments:

  1. This is a great list. Specifically this semester... I don't know what I've learned. I'll have to think about it.

    Overall, well, so far, in college the most important lesson I've learned is that it's okay to reach out and ask for help. The few minutes or hours of discomfort asking brings can have life-changing effects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cassie,
      I think that being able to ask for help is a great skill, weirdly enough it's hard to do at times.
      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Wooooooooooooooow, would love to know if you are Ghanaian? Love ur blog already. Im a hair blogger in Ghana too!!

    www.ghlonghair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stella,

      I am Ghanaian, I don't really blog about my hair but I keep my own personal records. I might share them at some point.
      I'll make sure to check out your blog!

      Delete
  3. Hello hunn,thanks for the visit. You def. gained some great insight. University has def. taught me all that you mentioned above. Also, hello to my fellow Ghanaian blogger.

    http://sincerelymissj.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      thank you so much for checking out my blog! I'm a rather silent fan of your blog, I adore it! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. I feel like I learned a lot of this this semester, too! Especially about getting out of your comfort zone! That's where all the fun happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sydney,
      I couldn't agree more! Thanks for reading!

      Delete